Got this from a colleague of mine:
- Your machine room is naked eye visible from low earth orbit. This is a nod to Mark Seager at Lawrence-Livermore, who wanted a file system visible from space. We have them now, from Google, Yahoo and Microsoft.
- Inside, you need binoculars to see the other end of your machine room.
- You think a $2M cluster is a nice, single user development platform.
- You order storage systems and analysts issue buy orders for disk stocks.
- You measure system network connectivity in hundreds of kilometers of cable/fiber.
- You dream about cooling systems and wonder when fluorinert will make a comeback.
- You telephone the local nuclear power plant before you boot your system.
- You’re already thinking about exaflops.