Latest Updates | Topics | Site Map | About Me | FAQ

"I will hold."

During the Battle of Belleau Wood, 1st Lt. Cifton B. Cates, USMC, sent this message on 19 July 1918 to his headquarters:
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
Lt. Cates is saying here that he only has 2 Marines left out of an original company that would have been about 100 to 120 Marines. Added to that another 20 Marines from another company also devastated by the fierce fighting.  Further, "no one on my left" means no troops in support on his left flank - he is unprotected there - and only a few troops to hold the line on his right flank.

Despite such such adversity, Lt. Cates' message is "I will hold."

Lt. Cates did hold and for his herosim in the conflicts of WWI he earned the Navy Cross, the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star and the Purple Heart.

Colonel Cates would then serve in WWII as commander of the 1st Marine Regiment in the battles of Guadalcanal, Tinian and Iwo Jima.  He would earn the Distinguished Service Medal... twice.

General Cates would then serve as Commandant of the Marine Corps from 1948 to 1954.

General Cates died 4 June 1970 and was laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery.

Semper Fi.