- When TOWs, Dragons, and other rockets are co-located with your position... and there is no 'rear' to point the rocket blast.
- When the jets return from the mission with pieces of jungle in their fuselage.
- When the air support and your larger ground vehicles are competing for use of the same air space.
- When artillary is used as a direct-fire weapon.
- When the mortars tubes are co-located with your position and appear to be at vertical.
- When the Ship's Captain issues the orders, 'Prepare to repel boarders' to the ship's crew.
- When you keep getting knocked down by the air blast from the M1 tank's main gun.
- When you have to keep your head down so it doesn't get chopped off by the tail rotor of a Cobra AH-1 helo.
- When the ejected rounds from your M-249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW) are getting 'caught' in the treads of the tank next to you.
Marine Dictionary: Close Combat Support
According Marine Corps' standards, the following qualify as 'close combat support':