Google Alerts

I've tried Google Alerts and they are an interesting idea but found that this form of search puts too much "spam" into my inbox. Too many of the search results were of little or no value. It may be that I am more of a "pull" user of search (i.e. go to Google and use the search form to fetch my content) than having the information "pushed" to me as e-mail. I tried making the searches more specific...only some impact. I wonder if it is possible to use the qualifiers normally used in Google search - e.g. the "site:" qualifier to restrict results. Mmmmm....as I think about it though....by the time that got as specific as I'd like, I'd probably be just as happy using RSS feeds. Interested in any "hints" that make this technology work well....any "best practices" for Google Alerts?
- Brian

No comments: