Open-Source UML/XML/Java/etc. Course Materials

I am converting much of my personal (not done for MITRE or any other employer) work into open-source or creative commons works that are available to the public. The bulk of this material will be in the area of UML/OOAD or in related areas like MDA, Java development, etc. and from the book reviews, presentations, course materials, etc. I've done.  My model for this effort is the Open CourseWare project at MIT.
Some of these materials are from courses I teach at the MITRE Institute but they are all copyright to me and I've chosen to make them available to the public.  This was done in conformance with MITRE policy - specifically the incentive award program for instructors at the MITRE Institute.  Though copyright by me, my intention is for these to be "open-source" materials and they will all eventually be marked with either as either MIT Open SourceCreative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial or something similar.  That these materials were used for courses at the MITRE Institute does not represent an endorsement by MITRE of this material.  They are the work of me only and I am solely responsible for the information conveyed within them.  The copyrights of other, previous, employers are also being respected in this effort.
Most of the material will be on UML because that is where I have the most material available.  I have been teaching courses on the Unified Modeling Language (UML) for almost 10 years now. Started in 1997 with Advanced Concepts Center  - formerly part of GE Space Systems, then part of Lockheed Martin Business Systems and now privately-owned as ACC Learning.  Later that year I became a Rational certified consultant and instructor.  I continued to work with the Rational materials while at the ACC and also while I worked at Number Six (2002-2003).  Since joining MITRE in 2003, I've given up public or for-profit courses and only teach thru the MITRE Institute. 
One of the problems of working with for-profit teaching courses is that those materials are the property of the copyright holders and those companies keep pretty close hold on those materials because they are part of revenue producing lines of business.  This can make developing materials for the common good a bit difficult.
In contrast, one of the benefits of working for a federally-funded research and development center (FFRDC) is that there are mechanisms to develop your own intellectual property and to contribute your work to the public.  You also get the opportunity to work on larger, broader and more demanding technical challenges.  So, I am combining both and following the example of the Open CourseWare project  in an effort to make as many of my lessons and presentations available to the public as possible.
I don't have a slick website the way MIT does (at least not yet) but for now my UML materials are available on the web and to the public. I'm also posting materials on related topics such as Rational Rose and Rational Requisite Pro.  I have a list of courses and some presentations that I will convert/publish as I have the time to work on this. 
The initial stuff you see probably won't have very much re-use value.  I've never put much effort into highly polished slides and relied more in my teaching on having a good dynamic, a good conversational flow, with the students.  As a result, most of my materials are "scraps" of ideas that I pull out as the need arises in the teaching situation.  Perhaps I am a better teacher than author and this whole idea may be a flop but we'll see. But going forward I'm going to try and make them more stand-alone - things that other people could incorporate into a mini-lesson or include as an appendix to a their own presentations/lessons or something like that.
The initial material is also fairly rudimentary - the sort of thing you would find from an "Intro to..." course - but I plan to improve upon that as well.  Again, in my regular teaching I rely upon my in-class demos and white-board exercises to expand upon the basic material covered in a text book or the course slides.  Over the years I have collected dozens of these intellectual tid-bits but they are trapped in the bookmarks and notes that clutter my teaching materials.  One of my personal goals in this activity is to make it possible for those ideas to go somewhere by putting them into mini-presentation or mini-papers that other people can use.
As I said, this is going to be a work in progress so check the website  from time to time and see what is new as I publish updates.
- Brian

No comments: